Pages

Friday, November 25, 2016

3 Things I Learned From My Foot Surgery

The Three Things I Learned From My Surgery

On June 6th of 2014 I had surgery on my foot. I was facing a recovery process that could be as short as three months or perhaps a year long. Either amount of time would be a lot for anyone with a busy life. I knew it would hurt and there would be challenges trying to get by on one foot for any amount of time. Along the way I learned a few things that I would like to share.


1. People are more helpful and caring than I thought they would be. And, I am not talking about my family, my friends and co-workers. Although I received huge amounts support from them and thanks to all of them for that. The surprise was the strangers. The tatted up guy at the convenience store that held the door open for me and offered to carry my bag. The cashier at Wal Mart that kept track of my recovery and asked how I was doing every time he saw me. This type of concern kind of restored my faith in my fellow man and woman kind. It was a pleasant surprise and one I will never forget.

2. When you have to… you can. I had to deal with no weight of any kind on my foot for what turned out for 6 weeks. I mean zero weight. Adapting to life on one foot was very challenging. But, I learned how to hop across my entire house, drive with my left foot, crutch up and down stairs and adapt in so many ways it amazed me. It taught me that we can do way more than we think we can. No matter what the challenge is, your job, your spouse, your kids, your health, whatever. If you must do better, you probably can, if you just try.

3. I am very fortunate. During my one-footed life I happen to watch a comedy skit put together by some war vets. It was amateur but entertaining. In the video, there is a scene where one of the guys takes the other guy’s prosthetic leg and the one-legged guy is chasing him by hopping on one foot exactly the way I was so many times on a daily basis. I obviously could relate and knew exactly what that felt like. The difference was that I would be done hopping in a few weeks and that guy in the video will be hopping for the rest of his life. I am very lucky as most of us are to have our health.

No comments:

Post a Comment